This course provides fundamental knowledge about co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders. Designed for professionals and paraprofessionals working in the behavioral health field and/or with individuals with co-occurring disorders (COD), the course is comprised of nine learning modules, each covering a core competency area:
- People with Co-Occurring Disorders: Descriptions and Definitions
- Treatment and Recovery Philosophies
- Substance Use Disorders
- Overview of Mental Health Conditions and Terminology
- Principles for Integrated Treatment
- Screening and Assessment Skills and Process
- Intervention, Motivation, and Treatment Strategies
- Assessing Our Own Attitudes, Motivation, and Health
- Family, Peer, and Natural Supports
How it Works
Within each of the nine modules, each lesson offers exercises, web resources to explore, and a learning integration self-test. There are references and resources for each module, as well as an online resource list. Certificates will be issued upon completion of all module materials, including a final quiz (which must be passed with a score of at least 80%) and an evaluation.
At the end of Module 6, participants will be able to:
- Explain screening and assessment protocols
- List ways to support the engagement and alliance for screening and assessment procedures
- Name the elements of assessment
- Identify key considerations for determining treatment matching
Certificates will be issued upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given.
- 2 contact hours for nurses.
CCSME Provider Unit is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Northeast Multi-State Division (NE-MSD), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Accreditation status does not imply endorsement by ANCC, NE-MSD or CCSME Provider Unit.
- 2 contact hours approved by the Maine Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors.
- 2 Category I contact hours for Psychologists are provided.
CCSME is a pre-approved sponsor and provider of Professional Education Activities for Psychologists.
- 2 contact hours for CHES.
CCSME is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Certificate of completion for 2 contact hours for Social Workers, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors, and other Professionals.